Value Tech participates in reviving The Historical Bibliotheca Alexandria
The Bibliotheca Alexandria is considered one of the most famous wonders of the world revived in Alexandria. The old Bibliotheca once served as a meeting point and research center for different cultures and civilizations, attracting prominent scientists and intellects from all over the world. It was truly a center for dialogue and tolerance as well as science and learning. This is the exact site, where more than 24 centuries ago. Archimedes invented the pump concept thereby establishing basic hydraulic and flow control principles applied today.
The objective of reviving the Bibliotheca Alexandria is to establish a comprehensive research library of unique collection. The new library is designed as a modern translation of the old building, well designed employing state of the art construction products and concepts.
Since its opening in October 2002, The Bibliotheca has become a unique research institution dedicated to recapture the spirit of the original library. It aspires to be a center of excellence in the production and dissemination of knowledge.
The Library includes the following; main library, young people’s library, library for the blind, planetarium, science museum, calligraphy museum, Alexandria museum, archaeological museum, international school of information studies (ISIS), conversation and restoration laboratory, conference center of Alexandria, Ancillary Services, Multipurpose room and exhibition areas.
Facts & Figures
- The new Bibliotheca Alexandria has a site of 45,000 m2,located in the center of Alexandria across the Slisila Peninsula, where the first library is taught to have been located.
- Total Floors: 11, Building Height; 33 m
- Total Floor Areas: 85, 405m2universal library, 36,770m2cultural activities, 4,210m2maps
- Technical Services and operational support: 10,860m2
- International School of Information Studies (ISIS): 3,500m2
- Conference Center ancillary services and other: 30,840m2
- Books: 4 million at inauguration – 8 million ultimately
- Periodicals: 500 – 400
- Audio Visual Multimedia material: 10,000
- Manuscripts and rare books: 10,000 – 50,000
- Consultant: Sonhetta- Hamza consortium
- Contractor: – Arab contractors & balfour beaty JV (ACBB)
- Balfourkil Patrick